There are four elementary schools in the village, namely: EB1/JI Cardinal Humberto Medeiros, EB1/JI Milagres, EB1/JI Outeiro and EB1/JI Engenheiro José Cordeiro. The first three were built during the so-called Planos Centenários (Centenary Plan) in the mid-20th century and the latter is a so-called P3 school and was rebuilt in 2014. EB1/JI Milagres was totally renovated and considerably expanded during the 2018/19 school year and reopened in the 2019/20 school year.
The 2nd and 3rd cycle of basic education are taught at this school, along with the PROFIS program for at-risk students. This school was opened on May 31, 1986, and many students from the village and neighboring villages have studied there. It also received students from the south coast before the Ginetes School was opened. Currently, all buildings need to be renovated, and we expect construction work on a new school to start next year.
Arrifes Social and Parish Center
It is a private social solidarity Institution that has operated since October 2012 under the management of the Church of Our Lady of Health. This space offers two services, namely: the daycare center “Anjo da Guarda” and a free time center with the capacity for about 80 children. Its main goal is the promotion and social integration of the children who attend this center.
The EPROSEC – Vocational School of the Union of Office, Commerce, Industry, Tourism, Services and Related Professionals of the Autonomous Region of the Azores was founded in 1992 and operated out of a building located on the street Rua Machado dos Santos in Ponta Delgada. It opened its new facilities in Arrifes on September 7, 2013. This school invests in the technical training of students and aims to promote rigor and excellence in the education it provides, stimulating creativity in the educational community and a work ethic, while cultivating diligence and autonomy through the reinforcement of participation and responsibility.
Church of Our Lady of Health
It was built in the second half of the 18th century in the place where a small 16th-century chapel once stood. In the 20th century, the church underwent some renovation work; notably altars and pulpits were gilded and the chancel walls and the front of the altar were lined with tiles.
It was built in the 16th century in the place where a chapel consecrated to Our Lady of Piety once stood. Expanded in the 18th century, it would undergo further renovation work in the 20th century.
Church of Our Lady of Miracles
The seat of a very populated curate, this small church is suffragan to the Arrifes Parish Church consecrated to the Virgin of Health. The date of its foundation is unknown; however, we believe that it was probably built around the mid-19th century, because its style is similar to that of other places of worship from that time. This church was built at the initiative of the local population. The chancel is lined with tiles and features paintings depicting Our Lady.
Located in Saúde in the village of Arrifes, the D. Leonor Afonso Garden was built in 1927 as a tribute to Princess Leonor Afonso of Portugal. Over the years, a number of amenities have been added to the garden, including a playground, a playing field and, in the 21st century, a workout area.
Humberto de Sousa Medeiros was Cardinal Archbishop of Boston, United States. He was born on October 6, 1915, in Arrifes and emigrated with his family to the United States in 1931.
In 1946, he was ordained a priest in Fall River, United States. He was appointment Bishop of Brownsville, United States, in 1966 and Archbishop of Boston in 1970. In 1971, Pope Paul VI gave him the title of Cardinal, a position that allowed him to attend the conclaves that elected Popes John Paul I and John Paul II in 1978.
D. Humberto Medeiros died in Boston on September 17, 1983. He was one of the most prestigious Azorean religious figures, having graduated in Philosophy and earned a doctorate in Theology.
His statue by José Carlos Almeida was unveiled on June 10, 2000.
Arrifes Garrison – Regiment No. 2
The Regiment has its historical roots in infantry and artillery. It is a unit of the Portuguese Army integrated in the Military Zone of the Azores. Regiment No. 2 was created in 1993 as a result of the merger of the former Ponta Delgada Infantry Regiment and the Artillery Group No. 1.
Ruins of traditional tobacco dryers
Located on the street Rua da Piedade, these ruins were once very important as tobacco was one of the main products that was produced a few decades ago in the village.
They were built about 3 to 4 meters high and served to protect the fruit trees and plantations that existed on farms.
Plots of land with beet, chicory, and tobacco
They were among the main crops produced in Arrifes.
Portals on properties
Portals were built at the entrances to the properties, usually with a round or lowered arch.
For many years these wagons, usually pulled by two oxen, were the means of transportation and work for the many farmers in our village.
In addition to pulling carts, they were used to work the land with plows and carried out the work that is currently done by tractors and a series of increasingly modern machines.
They served to transport the milk that was sold at the milk stations, but also to sell milk door to door in Ponta Delgada.